Username:
Password:
remember me?
 Latest:
Help / Support | Settings | View or Edit your profile
Lone_stooge
no one plans to fail
Waiting for Superman

if you have not seen the film you should, if you have what did you think of it.

If this thread breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Super Contributor
Haven't seen the film. It's true, a lot of schools are jokes, more concerned with teaching students "self-esteem" than academic subjects. But bad schools (kept bad by teacher unions, among other things) are only part of the problem. The greatest predictor of academic success is a stable two-parent family that ensures its children do extensive homework every night. Once the norm, the percentage of such parents dwindles with each passing year.

I also see it at universities: students write worse, read less, know less, and yet somehow imagine that technical advancements have put them on the cutting edge of human intellect. The self-esteem part of the education has worked, even if the rest has failed. It's sad to see.

--fantasm

If this reply breaks our rules please 
tm4mmtn
The question isn't what is the predictor it is how do we change it. Many socioeconomic factors impact that statement, but of them the one that I, personally, find to be interesting is the amount of time the child has with a parent or adult. While extensive homework and time spent on a subject is sure to allow for learning I think the bigger implication is that these kids have better educated more involved parents. I am not saying that some single parent families can't accomplish this, but I am saying they will need more social support to do so. I would love the time to look at studies that compare the performance of kids who come from single parent homes since birth compared to those that's parents split after different ages. I am interested to know if it is early education and stimulation that impacts the neuro-development of kids. (Hard wire those baby brains. wink) The impact of a social failure will trickle down to the whole of society.

America's education system is failing. I see more parents pulling their kids out to homeschool because the school is not meeting their kids educational needs. Which is better? Who knows. However, when we make kids sit still and stay with the class instead of teaching each child to their full potential, challenging them, well we breed mediocrity.

I do agree though parental involvement is a must, but there is much more to the problem than meets the eye. Just my 2c

o, and we elected GWB President -- How did he make it though English 101? Shame shame shame. lol wink

RightRound
I see a problem with students who are advanced being given the same material as the whole class. While there is plenty of support for students with developmental delays (rightly so) there is little than I can see for kids who are learning at a much faster pace than the rest of the class. At least at the elementary level.

They're being held back and it's a shame. If you have parents who will give them supplemental materials and work more with them at home, great, but they will still be doing addition with the rest of the class when they know all their multiplication tables. Or, if they are reading on a second grade level in Kindergarten, they will still have to sit and learn letter sounds with everyone else.

I know people who have decided to home school because their kids are not being challenged whatsoever and are too far ahead of the curriculum.

tm4mmtn
Oh I so agree. I have a son in K, and he needs to be in second grade...will the school do shit? Nope. We were even told to STOP working with him at home so he can "slow down." Really? Than waht about meeting his potential?

Forum Level:
I post, a LOT
that is such a pity. when I was in middle school I was taking classes with kids one or two grades above mine. now they want to slow down the advanced students? what is the logic behind that? preserving the status quo in elementary school? or is it to keep grades at a level that guarantees the most state and federal funding?

tm4mmtn
happyhumper69 said: that is such a pity. when I was in middle school I was taking classes with kids one or two grades above mine. now they want to slow down the advanced students? what is the logic behind that? preserving the status quo in elementary school? or is it to keep grades at a level that guarantees the most state and federal funding?

You hit the nail right on the head. My son aces the PALS/SOL, 102/102 every time. The class average is 48/102. Bunch of shit.

Forum Level:
I Like to Reflect
I have heard that (in Ontario at least) school is actually getting *harder* and they are trying to cram more stuff into four years. but then I took university classes in Ontario, and am still taking them now due to distance ed/online lectures. and as I get older, and the age gap between me and the other students grows larger, I feel like more and more of them are just really dumb.

Forum Level:
Super Contributor
I have heard there is schools trying to limit the homework load now... they claim it is too hard. give me a break! LOL

Help / Contact | Rules |  Terms of use / disclaimer | webmasters | Epoch Billing Support | Privacy Policy | DMCA / Takedown Request
18 U.S.C. 2257 Record-Keeping Requirements Compliance Statement
Page generated in 0.36 seconds