Username:
Password:
remember me?
 Latest:
Help / Support | Settings | View or Edit your profile
Forum Level:
Regular Contributor
New UK car Ban !

By 2040 the sale of new petrol and diesel cars will be banned in the UK and the move will be to all electric and hope that you have a charging point close by when the power levels are running low and that the National Grid can cope with the upsurge in electricity demand ?

If this thread breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Super Contributor
By then, solar panel powered cars will probably be much more advanced. 2c

If this reply breaks our rules please 
Forum Level:
Handle Me With Care
Now if that was 2020 and not 2040..
That might be of some worth..perhaps.

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
sale of new.... but how about use of and selling used?

Forum Level:
Handle Me With Care
There is a theoy about why electric carsvans etc shoud replace fossel fuel ones in London.
Bike lanes introduced on already crowded roads.
Making fewer moter lanes and delays.
Stowed traffic down.
Made cars etc standing still puffing out fumes.

Bike riders, killing themselves breathing in the fumes deeply with their excerise as they speed by .

Forum Level:
Regular Contributor
They have 20 plus years to see if this will be viable. It is noteworthy that the ones mandating the change, the UK politicians, are not the people who have to develop the technology and invest the money. A number of years ago the state of California mandated that all car manufactures doing business there must offer all electric vehicles by a certain date (I don't remember the dates). It wasn't that gas and diesel was banned, but the electric option must at least be offered. As manufacturers were unable to comply (some tried, GM even came out with a limited edition all electric model) the state had to back down. But, electric technology has advanced since then and the time frame is more lenient, so it's possible this could work. Moreover, as the date draws near, the mandate could be modified to conform to reality.

Another consideration will be whether or not the power plants in the UK will have the capacity to supply a nation of electric vehicles and the resulting emissions from those plants. Unless the power plant is hydro or nuclear, it's putting emissions in the air.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
the way electric power and battery technology is advancing, by 2040, I'm sure most manufacturers would already have 99% of their range electric power.

I love my old fossil fuel powered cars, so don't want to see them go, but the reality is they have had their time, far better options are on the horizon. We can't keep relying on fossil fuels.

But by 2040, I'm probably going to be too old to care anyway tongue

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Volvo has recently announced that all its models will be either electric or hybrid only by model year 2019. Tesla has completely taken the electric car next level. I did have an opportunity to drive one ... I was beyond impressed.

It's going to be really interesting to see the technological advancements over the next 20 years.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
The car makers will make cars that sell within the law. Many years ago the government threatened to lay out how easy every car was to break into, paying for the results to be placed in all papers or the car makers could make the cars more difficult to break into. The care makers fixed up and the maker funded test centres morphed into the safety ratings system we have for cars.

The issue will be providing ports foe the vehicles to be re-charged and equaling the speed equivalent of todays liquids. 5 minutes to fill a tank, 5 minutes of a charge will get one how far now!!!

My question, the NHS that is able to exist from fuel tax, cigarette and drink taxes. Not enough people are working for the money needed to fund the NHS, there will be so many more older, NHS prime clients then... (I am not saying keep petrol vehicles for the tax btw lol).

Tax, power ability (well they are setting up more dodgy deals reef nuclear power stations (the deal May stopped and then gave the go ahead with has indebted us the actual people who pay for years to come at prices well above reasonable rates.

The announcement was a Trump style no trans soldiers. It completely changed the media narrative. Grenfell Fire details coming out, the Brexit debacle where we a nation of 70 plus million have a couple of people negotiating on our behalf that I would not have negotiate my next mobile phone deal. The government afraid to have to explain the fact that it is not possible (not physically possible) to detach from the EU in 2019 and all las, rules, agreements be in place, like flicking a switch. Brexiters scream FOOOOUUUUUUULLLL, May has already messed up and bough being in government. They fear losing more votes of disappointed brexiters, so ...

It is all interlinked. Politics.. more like Bolloxtics...

*drops the mike and walks

Forum Level:
Regular Contributor
Maybe it's to try and relieve all the pollution that those illegal VW cars that have been fucking-up the air with those illegal immission devices ?

Forum Level:
Regular Contributor
I love how govts just tell us what we can and can not do. I'm all for cleaner energy but who the fuck do they think they are forcing it on people? What are they gonna do, make refining gas illegal too? I thought dictatorships were frowned upon?

Forum Level:
Regular Contributor
ilovepussy said: I love how govts just tell us what we can and can not do. I'm all for cleaner energy but who the fuck do they think they are forcing it on people? What are they gonna do, make refining gas illegal too? I thought dictatorships were frowned upon?

Who gives a fuck anyway, I no longer drive since my last car failed its MOT so choose never to buy another, use my FREE Bus Pass to travel where I need to go locally around Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire !

Forum Level:
Regular Contributor
alley52cat said:
ilovepussy said: I love how govts just tell us what we can and can not do. I'm all for cleaner energy but who the fuck do they think they are forcing it on people? What are they gonna do, make refining gas illegal too? I thought dictatorships were frowned upon?

Who gives a fuck anyway, I no longer drive since my last car failed its MOT so choose never to buy another, use my FREE Bus Pass to travel where I need to go locally around Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire !

Well that sucks!!! My issue is that the govt is able to just make up any fucking law they want then force companies to comply. Most of the emission rules are so far out of reach that the companies end up paying fines for not complying.

Forum Level:
Just getting started
I wonder what will happen to the value of vintage cars if they are no longer allowed on the roads.

Forum Level:
Regular Contributor

It will put an end to the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run !

Forum Level:
Active Contributor
Yeah, but I'll still be driving my 550hp Ford Falcon. I'll even brew my own avgas for it!

Help / Contact | Rules |  Terms of use / disclaimer | webmasters | Epoch Billing Support | Privacy Policy | DMCA / Takedown Request
18 U.S.C. 2257 Record-Keeping Requirements Compliance Statement
Page generated in 0.67 seconds